Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Iconic Otterson Vase Painting Frasier Crane's Apartment in "Frasier"

Sorry for the delay since the last post- I went away for a week, but I'm back. I thought I'd start my summer with a nice light post. And nothing is nicer and lighter than watching reruns of  Frasier in the wee small hours, right?
But seriously, whenever I do watch Frasier I'm always captivated by the one painting that hangs in his beautifully decorated apartment. I'm sure you know the one I'm talking about. The small square painting of two blue and white vases in front of a reddish-orange background. It hangs on the wall near Daphne's room in that fabulous apartment.

I did a little research and I was able to find out a lot about this piece. Because of Frasier's popularity, this piece is one of the most iconic pieces of artwork to appear on television because of its appearance in almost every episode and its prominence on the set.
The piece was originally painted by a Hollywood set designer by the name of Jack Otterson in 1939. I couldn't find the title or story of its origin, but I think it was probably a hobby piece done by Otterson, not something that he would have used in his sets. During the first season, the makers of Frasier borrowed out the piece which currently belongs to an art gallery in the City of Angels (Thomas Fay Art and Artifacts, to be precise). In the later seasons, the show just used a copy, created by a certain Ken Kaminsky.
Actually, this piece became quite popular to copy because its not a super complicated painting. Pretty basics shapes and colors, right? But still, I feel its pleasing to the eye and certainly not terrible. Because of this, you can buy many amateur copies off ebay and such if you so chose. Or, if you're feeling really artsy this summer, you can try to copy one yourself.

My next post will be a little more fulfilling, I promise. But I had to put something out here- so here's something. Also- if you have any comments, suggestions, etc... let me know. As Dr. Crane always said, "I'm listening."

14 comments:

  1. Happy to learn that the Fraiser painting was by Jack Otterson. It always looked like his work to me. My Mother and Father were good friends with Jack in the 1940's and 1950's. My Sister Jacquline was named after Jack. I have 2 of his original paintings and many letters he wrote to my Parents while he was in the Service. I have many memories of his visits to our home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. Just wanted to let you know how much I appreciate your fascinating blog. Thank you for your research.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm watching the entire Frazier series now in Netflix, so I had to find out about this painting. Thanks for the insight and research.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been watching and rewarding Frasier for years. I'm on my 8th time through in the last 3 years. I've always loved this painting! Thanks for this post! I'll look for my own copy of this art.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This picture is on Alfred Hitchcock Presents from 1956. It is in season 1, episode 28 at 2:20. It is to the right of the door to the art museum, shown for a split second as they enter. It's on Netflix, so I was able to rewind and verify.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This picture is on Alfred Hitchcock Presents from 1956. It is in season 1, episode 28 at 2:20. It is to the right of the door to the art museum, shown for a split second as they enter. It's on Netflix, so I was able to rewind and verify.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do you know anything about the lifesize painting on the wall outside Fraiser's bedroom, between his bedroom and Martin's? I'd love to see a clear shot of it. It's a large human figure in red tones. Thanks. :D Cool blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. its a rauschenburg advertisement poster for one of his showings. venice - usa. looks like it is authentic, as its to my knowledge impossible to find a recreation of one of those posters for sale.

      Delete
  9. The Chihuly vase by his fireplace is seen just as often.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Chihuly vase by his fireplace is seen just as often.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...